Rabbits are a serious threat to gardens since they can quickly work their way through plant after plant. However, most tenderhearted gardeners eschew rabbit traps and poison, which can negatively influence the environment and will usually hurt or kill the rabbits. Fortunately, you can easily make your own home remedy to keep rabbits away from a garden using items that are likely in your kitchen cabinets right now.
Cut corncobs in half and soak them in white vinegar for 48 hours. You can fill an airtight container with vinegar, then add the corncobs and cover the entire thing.
Place the corncobs around the edges of your garden. Do not put them on the plants themselves. The vinegar will keep the rabbits out of the garden. As soon as you remove your first batch of corncobs, throw some new ones in there since they will need to be replaced about once a week or immediately after a rain until the rabbits give up.
Combine 1 cup of black pepper, 1 cup of cayenne pepper and 1 cup of bonemeal in an airtight container. Make sure the mixture is thoroughly blended.
Sprinkle the pepper-and-bonemeal mixture on your garden. You can even put it on the plants the rabbits find particularly tempting. This will deter them due to the smell and taste. Seal the leftovers in the container for use later, since you will need to reapply this home remedy twice a week or immediately after a rain until the rabbits stop entering your garden.
Things You Will Need
- Corn cobs halved
- White vinegar
- Airtight containers
- Cayenne pepper
- Black pepper
- Some plants will deter rabbits from eating in an area, such as forget-me-nots and impatiens. However, rabbits will eat nearly any plant when it is young, even if they avoid the same plant at maturity.
- Keep Dogs Out of My Flower Beds
- Kill Ants With Corn Meal
- Stop Rabbits From Eating Vegetable Plants
- Use Dog Hair to Keep Rabbits Out of Your Garden
- Get Snails Off Gerbera Daisies
- Get Rid of Rabbits Eating Flowers
- Home Remedies for Keeping Deer Out of Gardens
- Make Liquid Bone Meal Fertilizer at Home
- Make Homemade Ant Killer
- Keep Deer Away From Hostas
- Repel Dogs From Your Lawn
- Kill Hookworms and Roundworms in the Yard