Spider mites are a common plant pest that have a particular attraction to junipers. These mites cause the leaves of junipers to yellow and can kill the plant over time. Many times, local use of insecticide kills these mites' natural predators, and this can lead to an even bigger infestation. In order to avoid doing further damage via pesticide use, consider trying a home remedy to control mites on junipers.
Verify that you actually have spider mites. If the mites are present, you will detect small, webbed areas in the areas where the leaves and stems join the main stem. In addition, you will notice yellowing and falling leaves. If you look closely, you can see the dark dots that are spider mites moving in the webbing.
Remove dead and dying foliage. Do not just drop it on the ground, since the mites can easily get right back on the junipers. Wear garden gloves, and put all waste in the garbage bags.
Hose down your junipers. Use a garden hose and high pressure. This will probably knock foliage loose, but it will wash away the mites and their webs as well. You will need to do this every three days to wash away mites that have hatched from leftover eggs after the first treatment. Continue for two weeks.
Combine the rubbing alcohol and the distilled water in the spray bottle. Use a 1 to 1 ratio, so that if you use a cup of rubbing alcohol, you will also use a cup of distilled water.
Spray the juniper plants with the rubbing alcohol dilution. It will kill the mites on contact, but evaporate before it can hurt the plant. Make sure to spray the undersides of the leaves where the mites may be hiding. You can repeat this treatment each day until the mites are completely gone.
Things You Will Need
- Garbage bag
- Garden hose
- Rubbing alcohol
- Spray bottle
- Distilled water
- Bringing ladybugs into your garden will help get rid of your mites. You will need to consult a vendor to determine how many ladybugs your junipers can support, since their size will determine how many of these insects you need. Predatory mites can be used instead of ladybugs.
- Aphid Treatment for Junipers
- Get Rid of Mites on Plants
- Home Remedy for Spider Mites on Plants
- Kill Little Bugs on Plants With a Home Remedy
- Treat Ficus Trees for Mites
- Treatment for Holly Bush Leaves Turning Black
- How Do You Kill Evergreen Mites?
- Treat Spider Mites on Hydrangea
- Kill Spider Mites on Plants
- Hinoki Cypress Problems
- Get Rid of Bugs on Plants Naturally
- Best Get Rid of Ticks in the Yard