Bamboo wind chimes blowing in the breeze sound more like knockers than chimes. The soft clanging of wooden tubes seems more natural in the garden than the higher-pitch tinkle of metal. You can easily make wind chimes from dried bamboo poles available from landscape supply stores. Create bamboo chimes to resemble a spiral chandelier with a few precise cuts and a little ingenuity.
Measure and cut the bamboo pole into the following lengths: 5 inches, 6 inches, 7 inches, 8 inches, 9 inches, 10 inches and 11 inches. If you choose to use a larger or smaller craft ring for the wind chime design, adjust the number of bamboo poles accordingly. Keep the cut in equal increments, from 1/2 to 1 inch apart.
Drill small holes all the way through each of the bamboo poles, 1/2 inch from one end.
Cut a 10-inch length of soft monofilament line for each bamboo pole.
Thread one line halfway through the drilled holes of the shortest bamboo pole. Pull the ends of the monofilament line so that they are even. Tie the ends in a triple overhand knot around the craft ring.
Repeat Step 4 for each bamboo pole. Arrange the poles on the ring from shortest to longest. Make sure that each of the tops of the bamboo poles are even as you tie them onto the craft ring.
Space the poles evenly on the ring. Dot each of the knots with clear waterproof adhesive to hold the knot and hold the position on the ring.
Make a hanger for the wind chimes with two 14-inch strips of soft monofilament line. Criss-cross the lines over the top of the craft ring. Secure the line to the ring with triple overhand knots. Cover the knots with waterproof adhesive. Let the glue dry before hanging the wind chimes.
Things You Will Need
- 1-inch bamboo pole
- Measuring tape
- Small drill bit
- Soft monofilament
- 7-inch metal craft ring
- Clear waterproof adhesive
- Thread a colorful crystal prism onto a monofilament line that will extend the length of the bamboo pole. Insert the line inside the bamboo pole so that the crystal hangs from the bottom of the wind chimes.
- DIY 3-Point Hitch Frame
- Change String on a Bolens Trimmer
- Make a Bamboo Trellis
- Wind Trimmer Line on a Husqvarna Trimmer
- Make a Toy Boat
- Make a Wooden Christmas Tree
- Make Hand Rails Out of Steel Pipe
- Make Your Own Garden Bench
- Make a Noodle Lounger Raft Chair
- Install a String on a Homelite Weedeater
- Replace String on a Ryobi Weed Trimmer
- Build a Water Fountain Out of a Whiskey Barrel