Moss is a very simple plant with no roots, stems or leaves. These plants typically grow together in dense mats or clumps. Because of moss’ habit of becoming established on older rock and stones, it may be treated as a decorative plant that makes ornamental garden art look aged. However, some gardeners find moss an unsightly nuisance, especially if it is growing on the lawn. Because moss is a simple plant, it is simple to get rid of.
Rake the soil under which the moss is growing. This will break up the moss and aerate the soil beneath it, creating an environment inhospitable to moss.
Select a fertilizer that uses iron sulfate, and apply it to the lawn. Compounds such as this will kill moss, as well as causing grass to grow and crowd out moss.
Mix a solution of dish detergent and water and pour into a spray bottle. Spray the moss with this solution daily until it begins to yellow and die.
Pour vinegar into a spray bottle and spray on moss. Vinegar is acidic in pH. Acidic liquids kill moss.
Prune vegetation around the moss so that it receives sunlight. Moss cannot live under sunny conditions.
Things You Will Need
- Fertilizer containing iron sulfate
- Dish detergent
- Spray bottle
- Vinegar and dish detergent solution may be combined into one solution for spraying on moss.