The Canary Island date palm (Phoenix canariensis) is an ornamental palm tree that is native to the Canary Islands near the African coast. This palm grows large, up to 60 or 65 feet tall at maturity, with 10- to 15-foot-long spiky leaves. The Canary Island date palm bears 2-inch-long orange fruits as well.
This palm grows best in subtropical and tropical climates, suitable for outdoor growing down to USDA Zone 9, with a minimum annual temperature of 20 degrees Fahrenheit. This date palm tree can also be grown indoors and its growth regulated by keeping it in a smaller container.
Fill a seed tray or a 6-inch planter pot that has drainage holes in the bottom with 3 to 4 inches of well-draining potting soil. Mix into the potting soil a handful of coarse sand to further improve drainage.
Place the Canary Island date palm seeds on the potting mixture. Cover the seeds with another 1 ½ inches of potting soil.
Position the seeds in full sunlight or a bright, sunny window with southern exposure. Maintain air temperatures around the seeds at 75 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
Spray the potting soil with water daily to keep it slightly moist.
Apply a well-balanced palm fertilizer, such as a 10-10-10 NPK (Nitrogen-Phosphorous-Potassium), once each month. Follow the dosage and application directions on the package.
Things You Will Need
- Canary Island date palm seeds
- Seed tray or 6-inch planter pot
- Potting soil
- Coarse sand
- Water spray bottle
- Balanced palm fertilizer
- Be sure to use the freshest seeds possible. With enough sunlight and warmth, the Canary Island date palm seeds will germinate in about one month.
- Don't transplant the Canary Island date palm outdoors until it's at least a healthy 2 to 3 feet tall. If you're growing the palm as an indoor plant, you can repot to a 10-inch plant container as soon as the seedling begins to outgrow the germination container.
- Care for a Lipstick Palm
- Propagate Silk Tree Seeds
- Are Chinese Palm Plants Poisonous to Cats?
- Get Rid of Ant Mounds
- Plant Sega Palm Tree Seeds
- The Best Time to Seed Kentucky Bluegrass
- Germinate Sago Palm Tree Seeds
- Design Ideas for Small Gardens
- Tell If Sunflower Seeds Are Ready to Harvest
- Plant Baobab Seeds
- Get Rid of Stink Bugs
- Propagate Cardboard Palms