Fescue is a cool-season grass that is popular in cooler regions that receive moderate to heavy rainfall. Fescue sod is ideal for sunny or lightly shaded lawns that endure heavy foot traffic or need erosion control. The best time to lay fescue sod is between mid-January and May or between mid-September to November. The fescue sod will develop a strong root system when the days are slightly mild and the nights are cool. Apply a starter fertilizer before laying the fescue sod to speed root development.
Water the new fescue sod once every two to three days during the first three weeks. Water the fescue sod to supplement rainfall so that it receives about 1 to 2 inches of water every week after the sod roots into the ground.
Wait to mow or walk on the new sod so that you don’t disturb the fescue grass while it’s developing its root system. Refrain from walking on or mowing the sod for at least one week.
Mow the fescue sod once or twice each week during the growing season to keep the grass at about 1 or 2 inches tall.
Feed the fescue grass a fall-season lawn fertilizer in October. Feed the sod again in late February or early March with a high-nitrogen, slow-release lawn fertilizer. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for dosage.
Things You Will Need
- Garden hose
- Fall-season lawn fertilizer
- Slow-release nitrogen grass fertilizer
- Feed your fescue grass a third time in the spring with the slow-release lawn fertilizer if the grass is stressed or doesn't appear healthy and lush. Apply the fertilizer before May. Fertilizing the fescue sod in the summertime can stress the root system.
- Don't cut more than 1/3 of the fescue grass's length at one time. Avoid allowing the fescue grass to grow too long, because this will weaken the grass. To keep the fescue grass at 2 inches tall. Mow the grass when it grows to no higher than 3 inches.
- Grow Fescue
- How Much Grass Seed Per Square Foot?
- Take Care of New Bermuda Sod
- Fertilize New Sod
- Fertilize New Bermuda Sod
- Take Care of New Sod
- When Is Grass Seed Ready to Harvest?
- Kill Crabgrass in Centipede Lawns
- When to Plant Grass Seed in West Virginia
- The Best Time to Plant Grass in Virginia
- What Type of Grass Grows in the Shade?
- Plant Fescue Grass Seed in Late Winter