Boiled and boiling water have two common uses for home gardeners. First, some gardeners prefer to sterilize their water before hydrating seeds, seedlings and juvenile plants to reduce the possibilities of introducing diseases to the sensitive plants. Second, boiling water can be an effective all-natural herbicide when poured onto a weed. Incorporate the act of boiling water into your gardening routine for a simple and effective solution to these gardening issues.
How to Sterilize Water to Hydrate Plants
Pour the amount of water you need into a kitchen pot. Set the pot onto your stove on high heat until the water starts boiling. How soon it begins to boil varies according to your cookware and your home's altitude.
Keep the water boiling for five minutes to effectively sterilize the liquid. Turn the stove burner off after the water has been boiling for five minutes and set the pot aside to cool.
Water your plants with it as soon as the water is at room temperature.
Using Boiling Water to Kill Plants
Boil water. Pour the boiling water onto the plant, being careful to cover all exposed portions of the plant. The heat will collapse the plant's cell structure and kill it.
Wait 24 hours and observe the plant. Some hardy plants, such as woody vines, may not die completely after a single treatment. The plant needs re-treatment if its vegetation is still crisp and green.
Pour boiling water on the plant again or as needed until the plant dies.
Things You Will Need
- Kitchen pot
- Jug or spray bottle (optional)
- If you don't need to use the sterilized water right away, you can store it in a jug or spray bottle for future use.
- Practice caution when handling boiling water to avoid scalding yourself.
- Cheap Ways to Keep Bugs Off Plants
- Use Peppermint to Get Rid of Fleas
- Use Saltwater to Kill Weeds in St. Augustine Grass
- What Are the Effects of Soapy Water on Plants?
- Water Plants With Orange Juice
- Home Remedy Weed Killer
- Can Soda Be Used to Water Plants?
- Use Bayer Advanced Brush Killer
- Maintain Indoor Plants
- Kill Mondo Grass
- Grow English Ivy Indoors
- Kill Roots