Euphorbial lathyris, also called the mole plant, got its name because of its ability to repel moles. The mole plant secretes a toxic sap that is poisonous to moles, and its gasoline-like smell keeps them out of gardens. However, mole plants repel more than just moles. The plant's toxins can harm humans as well and gardeners with children or pets may want to get rid of it to protect them. Luckily, the mole plant is non-invasive and quite simple to remove.
Put on a pair of gardening gloves. The mole plant's sticky sap can irritate your skin.
Use your trowel to dig 7 to 8 inches into the soil, around the mole plant in a 2-foot radius from its base.
Pull up the mole plant. Grip it at its base. Then pull it up and move it from side to side to loosen the plant's roots. If it does not come up easily, use your trowel to dig out the roots at the base of the plant.
Use your trowel to dig up any remaining roots.
Fill in the hole you created with topsoil.
Toss the mole plant(s) onto the compost pile.
Things You Will Need
- The sap of the mole plant is quite sticky and if it touches your skin, it may irritate it or cause an allergic reaction. Consider throwing the gloves away or washing them by themselves after handling the mole plants.
- Are Chinese Palm Plants Poisonous to Cats?
- Is a Horsetail Plant Dangerous to Dogs?
- Transplant Allium
- Design Ideas for Small Gardens
- Make Homemade Pesticide for Tomato Plants
- What Does Exotic Plants Mean?
- Get Rid of Moles Without Killing Them
- Mole Repellent Plants
- Transplant Hosta Plants
- Ant Control
- How Far Apart Do You Plant Tomatoes?
- Care for Ventricosa Plants