Gardeners who reuse planting containers often choose to sterilize plant pots. When you sterilize plant pots, you effectively kill any bacteria and pathogens that accumulate on the surfaces of the pots. These bacteria can harm future plants you place in the pots if you do not take steps to sterilize each year. Use one of two simple methods to prepare your planting containers for new plants. The method you select depends upon what materials your pots contain.
Oven Sterilization Method
Preheat the oven to 220 degrees F.
Place small and medium terracotta pots onto the baking sheet and place the baking sheet into the warm oven.
Leave the terracotta pots in the oven for one hour and then turn the oven off.
Remove the terracotta pots when the oven and the pots are completely cool. Do not remove the pots before they cool completely because you risk breaking them.
Bleach Sterilization Method
Mix 1 part chlorine bleach and 10 parts cold water in the 5-gallon bucket.
Place pots of any kind and any size into the bleach solution in the bucket and allow them to soak for 30 minutes.
Remove the pots from the bleach solution and rinse them completely with the garden hose.
Leave the pots in a location where they can dry completely over the next few days. As the pots dry, any bleach residue that remained on the pots will dissipate naturally.
Things You Will Need
- Plant pots
- Baking sheet
- Chlorine bleach
- 5-gallon bucket
- Garden hose
- Plastic gloves
- Another cleaning method used by some gardeners is to wash the pots in an automatic dishwasher with approximately a half-cup of white vinegar.
- Transform Your Plant Pots to Look Like Stone
- How Many Quarts of Potting Soil Are in a Cubic Foot?
- How Far Apart Do You Plant Tomatoes?
- Preserve Terracotta Flower Pots
- Fix Root Rot
- Make Natural Fiber Plant Pots
- Put Bleach in Standing Water in Plant Pots
- What is the Fastest Growing Fruit Tree?
- Flower Pots That Can Be Used in All Weather Conditions
- Grow Shasta Daisies in Pots
- Propagate Mock Orange Shrubs
- Plant Outdoor Pots