When dandelions infest your lawn, your best natural remedy for killing the invasive weeds can be found in your kitchen cupboards–vinegar. The high acid content in vinegar kills dandelion weeds on contact, without polluting the soil or harming pets or humans. In addition to dandelions, common household vinegar kills foxtail, thistles, pigweed and velvetleaf weeds. Make a homemade, all-natural dandelion weed killer spray and watch them disappear from your lawn or garden.
Pour 1 gallon of household vinegar into a large container. Add 1 ounce of liquid dish soap. Mix the ingredients together gently so you don’t create any bubbles from the dish soap.
Clean the pump sprayer to remove any residue from fertilizers, herbicides, insecticides or fungicides before using it for the natural dandelion weed killer.
Pour the vinegar mixture into the clean pump sprayer.
Spray the vinegar solution directly onto the dandelion flower heads and leaves using the pump sprayer.
Wait 24 to 48 hours, and check if the dandelion weeds are turning brown, wilting and dying. Repeat the vinegar application if you don’t see the dandelions dying back within two days.
Things You Will Need
- Liquid dish soap
- Large container
- Pump sprayer
- Corn gluten meal (optional)
- Grass-seed spreader (optional)
- Warm up the vinegar before applying it to make it slightly more effective at killing the dandelion weeds.
- A natural pre-emergent weed killer that will also feed your lawn is corn gluten meal, a powder byproduct of corn milling. Spread the corn gluten meal over your entire lawn using a grass-seed spreader in early spring, about four to six weeks before the dandelion weeds begin to germinate and sprout.
- Avoid spraying the surrounding grass with the vinegar, because the solution could kill your grass if it makes contact with the grass blades.
- The Lowest Temperature of Marigold Plants
- Kill Mature Crabgrass
- Are Chinese Palm Plants Poisonous to Cats?
- Identify Weeds in St. Augustine Grass
- Kill Sod Webworms
- Kill Mare's-tail Weed
- Kill Crabgrass in Centipede Lawns
- How Long Is the Oat Growing Season?
- Make the Best Homemade Liquid Lawn Fertilizer
- Grow an Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine
- The Best Weed Killer for Clover
- Kill Crabgrass in Lawns in the Summer