Rabbits are notorious for getting into vegetable gardens and destroying plants. Even if they find a vegetable they don't like, it won't prevent them from sampling every other vegetable on the same plant. To keep them out of your garden, it is best to use elements that bring their natural instincts into play. Rabbits like to feel safe and want to do as little work as possible for their food, so if you can take that away from them, they will no longer be a problem in your garden.
Sprinkle dried blood, animal urine and animal hair around your garden. Rabbits have a keen sense of smell and will flee the area if they think a predator is nearby. All of these products are available at most garden supply stores.
Sprinkle red pepper flakes around all of your plants. When the rabbits get a taste of the hot peppers, they will likely move on.
Put a fence around the garden. A simple chicken wire fence is enough to keep the rabbits out. To do this, dig a 4-inch-deep trench around the perimeter of the garden. Put a wooden stake in each corner. Wrap the chicken wire as tightly as you can around the stakes. Fill in the trenches with the soil to secure the fence in place. Rabbits are more likely to dig beneath a fence than jump over it, so it is important to have part of it buried.
Grow plantain weed in another section of your yard if the previous steps are unsuccessful. Rabbits would rather eat this than go through the trouble of hopping over a fence to get food.
Things You Will Need
- Dried blood
- Animal urine and hair
- Red pepper flakes
- Chicken wire
- Wooden stakes
- Home Remedies For Keeping Rabbits Out of Gardens
- Keep Deer Away From Vegetable Gardens
- Keep a Rabbit Out of Your Yard
- Home Remedy to Keep Rabbits Away From a Garden
- Home Remedies to Keep Rabbits Out of the Garden
- Keep Cat Urine Out of Your Flower Beds
- Keep Squirrels and Rabbits Out of Flower Beds
- Keep Grasshoppers Away From Tomato Plants
- Keep Rabbits Out of Herb Gardens
- Keep Pests Out of a Vegetable Garden
- Make a Garden Squirrel Repellent
- Use Dog Hair to Keep Rabbits Out of Your Garden