Rabbits are notorious for getting into vegetable gardens and destroying plants. Even if they find a vegetable they don't like, it won't prevent them from sampling every other vegetable on the same plant. To keep them out of your garden, it is best to use elements that bring their natural instincts into play. Rabbits like to feel safe and want to do as little work as possible for their food, so if you can take that away from them, they will no longer be a problem in your garden.
Sprinkle dried blood, animal urine and animal hair around your garden. Rabbits have a keen sense of smell and will flee the area if they think a predator is nearby. All of these products are available at most garden supply stores.
Sprinkle red pepper flakes around all of your plants. When the rabbits get a taste of the hot peppers, they will likely move on.
Put a fence around the garden. A simple chicken wire fence is enough to keep the rabbits out. To do this, dig a 4-inch-deep trench around the perimeter of the garden. Put a wooden stake in each corner. Wrap the chicken wire as tightly as you can around the stakes. Fill in the trenches with the soil to secure the fence in place. Rabbits are more likely to dig beneath a fence than jump over it, so it is important to have part of it buried.
Grow plantain weed in another section of your yard if the previous steps are unsuccessful. Rabbits would rather eat this than go through the trouble of hopping over a fence to get food.
Things You Will Need
- Dried blood
- Animal urine and hair
- Red pepper flakes
- Chicken wire
- Wooden stakes
- Get Rid of Garden Frogs
- Natural Ways to Repel Squirrels From the Garden Using Spices
- Keep Rabbits Away From Tomato Plants
- Make a Garden Squirrel Repellent
- Keep Rabbits Out of Flower Beds
- Get Rid of Squirrels in Your Yard
- Gophers in My Vegetable Garden
- Keep Chipmunks Away From My Tomato Plants
- Home Remedies For Keeping Rabbits Out of Gardens
- Keep Coons Out of Sweet Corn
- Keep Squirrels out of Bird Feeders
- Home Remedy to Keep Rabbits Away From a Garden