Deer can do a real number on your garden, eating your prized lilies down to the ground or trampling over your herbs and tomatoes. While a sturdy fence is the best way to keep deer out, that's not always practical for all gardens. You can make your own deer repellent spray from ingredients you have around the house.
Whisk together three eggs and 1 cup of cold water. Strain the mixture through the cheese cloth to remove any larger particles that could clog your garden sprayer.
Add 3 tbsp. of minced garlic to the egg mixture. Fresh garlic is more potent than jarred or canned garlic.
Add 3 tbsp. minced hot peppers (such as jalapeno or habanero) or 3 tbsp. hot pepper sauce to the egg and garlic mixture. Always wear disposable gloves when handling hot peppers to avoid burning your skin, and do not touch your eyes or other sensitive areas until you have removed the gloves and washed your hands thoroughly.
Add 1 tbsp. liquid dish soap or castile soap to the egg mixture.
Combine the egg mixture with one gallon of water and stir well.
Fill a garden sprayer with the deer repellent mixture and spray the foliage of any plants you would like to protect from deer. Apply the spray in late morning or mid-afternoon, after the dew dries. If possible, wait for dry weather.
Reapply the deer repellent spray at least once a month and after any heavy rainfall.
Things You Will Need
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cold water
- Cheese cloth
- 3 tbsp. minced fresh garlic
- 3 tbsp. minced hot peppers or 3 tbsp. hot pepper sauce
- Disposable gloves
- 1 tbsp. dish soap or castile soap
- Garden sprayer
- This deer repellent spray works by making the plants unappetizing to deer. Try to apply the spray early in the season, before the deer get into the habit of nibbling on your plants.
- This spray also repels rabbits.
- Stop a Deer From Eating Tomato Plants
- Deer Repellent Fertilizer
- Keep Bugs Away From Tomato Plants
- Keep Deer Away From Pumpkins
- Home Remedies for Keeping Deer Out of Gardens
- Make Homemade Natural Mosquito Insecticide
- Recipe for Deer & Rabbit Repellent
- Do Deer Eat Zinnias or Gerber Daisies?
- How Tall Does a Caladium Get?
- Kill Ground Beetles
- Do Foxes Eat Both Plants & Animals?
- Home Remedies for Keeping Pets Out of Gardens