Capturing rain water with a rain barrel is a handy way to water your vegetable garden and house plants. Many people forget to include a way to use a garden hose with their rain barrel systems. It is not difficult to install an outside water spigot to accommodate a garden hose in your rain barrel. Most hardware stores carry water spigots with threaded male ends to use for this purpose.
Remove the lid from the rain barrel and bail out any water that may be in the barrel. Use the water on your plants or place the water in a container until the project is complete.
Drill a hole for the water spigot 2 inches from the bottom of the rain barrel with a 3/4-inch hole saw attachment for your drill.
Wrap the threads on the back end of the spigot with plumber's tape. Apply a 1/8-inch bead of silicone caulk to the back of the spigot plate with a caulking gun.
Insert the spigot into the hole in the rain barrel from the outside of the barrel. Place the rubber washer over the threads of the water spigot from the inside of the rain barrel. Thread the nut over the threads and hand tighten.
Tighten the securing nut completely using a wrench. Tighten the nut until the rubber washer starts to compress.
Turn the handle on the water spigot to the closed position. Replace the water in the rain barrel if you have the water in a holding container. Place the rain barrel lid back on top of the rain barrel. Attach a garden hose to the spigot and test your connection.
Things You Will Need
- 3/4-inch hole saw
- 3/4-inch diameter outside water spigot ( with male threads on back)
- 3/4-inch rubber washer
- 3/4-inch nut
- Plumber's tape
- Silicone caulk
- Caulking gun
- Connect Multiple 55 Gallon Drums
- Install Poly Pipe Fittings
- Bypass a Flow Sensor in a Pool Heater
- Make Hand Rails Out of Steel Pipe
- What Causes Rain Bird Sprinkler Valves to Leak?
- How Does a Pool Waterfall Work?
- Gravity Feed a Water Feature
- Repair a Hole in a Garden Hose
- Replace a Craftsman Edger Blade
- Install a Hayward Side Wall Skimmer in an Above-Ground Pool
- Use Polaris Pool Cleaner
- Troubleshoot an Onga Pool Pump