Honeysuckle (Lonicera) is an easy vine to grow and its abundant flowers will fill your garden with their scent. Honeysuckle thrives in full sun and is drought tolerant after it is mature. It requires little fertilizer. Most varieties of honeysuckle bloom from spring through summer, but if you grow winter honeysuckle (Lonicera fragrantissima) along with your summer-blooming honeysuckle, you can expect to enjoy honeysuckle’s flowers year-round.
Keeping Honeysuckle Blooming all Year
Grow both your summer blooming honeysuckle and your winter honeysuckle in full sun and well-drained soil to ensure they receive the conditions they need.
Fertilize both summer and winter honeysuckle twice each year at the beginning of spring and again in mid summer with a balanced plant food having an N-P-K ratio of 10-10-10.
Feed both honeysuckles a low nitrogen or “blossom booster” fertilizer when they begin their active growth in spring.
Give both honeysuckles sufficient water but allow the soil to dry before you water them again.
Things You Will Need
- Winter honeysuckle plant
- Summer blooming honeysuckle (Coral Honeysuckle or Lonicera heckrottii are examples)
- Balanced plant food (10-10-10)
- Low nitrogen plant food
- Winter honeysuckle grows to about 10 feet in height.
- Winter honeysuckle is cold tolerant, from USDA climate zones 4 through 8.
- After your winter honeysuckle finishes blooming, you can prune it to the shape you want to keep it under control.
- Provide a trellis or other means of support to keep the rampant vines of summer honeysuckle contained---winter honeysuckle is a more shrub-like plant.
- Avoid planting the vining types of honeysuckle (summer honeysuckle) near small trees or shrubs because it can quickly climb them and cause them to strangle.
- Florida Honeysuckle Plants
- Grow Red-Tip Shrubs
- Fast Growing Evergreen Vines for Texas
- Are You Supposed to Deadhead Clematis?
- Trim Roses
- Troubleshoot Honeysuckle
- When to Plant Azalea Bushes
- Grow Black-Eyed Susan Vine (Thunbergia Alata)
- Trim Dropmore Scarlet Honeysuckle
- Grow Zebra Grass
- Transplant Honeysuckle
- Fertilize Hydrangeas With Miracle-Gro