Growing mushrooms at home is an easy and fun activity both for new gardeners and for children. Because mushrooms do not require direct sunlight to grow, they can be grown in a wider variety of locations than most other plants, including right in your own kitchen. The cupboard underneath the kitchen sink is a great location as it provides the warmth and humidity needed for successful mushroom growing. Popular indoor varieties include portobellos, shiitaki and white button mushrooms, all of which are delicious culinary mushrooms often found in recipes.
Fill the bin with composted manure to a depth of two to three inches. Use only aged composted manure as fresh manure can burn off new mushroom growth. Mist the manure with a plant mister until damp to the touch but not soaking wet.
Sprinkle the mushroom spores in sawdust mixture over the surface of the compost. Use the amount recommended in the instructions included with the spores to ensure that it is the correct amount for the area available. Too many spores are a waste and too few will not promote growth.
Mist the surface of the compost again lightly. Keep the surface of the soil damp during the entire growing process by misting at least daily. Do not allow the soil to become saturated with water or the mushrooms will begin to rot.
Set the bin in the cupboard underneath the kitchen sink. Ensure that you are able to mist the bin daily.
Watch for signs of mushroom growth. Depending on the variety grown, this may begin to occur after two to three weeks. Harvest individual mushrooms when they reach a mature size by cutting at soil level with a sharp knife. Most varieties of mushroom will produce multiple crops or "flushes" of mushrooms over a period of weeks or months. Continue to harvest regularly until no new mushrooms appear. The spent compost can be dumped outside in garden beds.