An important part of maintaining your Craftsman lawn tractor is to monitor your oil and change it regularly. Unlike cars where you change oil according to mileage, yard equipment requires that you keep track of the number of hours the tractor has been in use. A new lawn tractor should have its first oil change after the first two hours of use. Regular oil changes should be after every 25 hours of use and before being stored for the winter. The oil used must meet API (American Petroleum Institute) SF or SG standards (SF or SG relate to spark ignition and quality rating of the oil).
Park the Craftsman lawn tractor on a flat surface. Engage the parking brake and disengage the blades. Turn off the lawn tractor and remove the key.
Place the 2-quart container beneath the oil drain plug.
Remove the oil dipstick from the oil fill tube on the side of the engine. Remove the drain plug using an adjustable wrench. Turn the plug counter-clockwise (to the left) and pull gently. Be prepared; oil will begin to drain immediately from the engine.
Replace the drain plug. Insert funnel into the top of the oil fill tube. Add 1½ quarts of oil to the engine to the oil fill tube.
Replace the oil dipstick and secure tightly and then remove to read the dipstick. If the oil does not reach full on the dipstick carefully add a small amount and check the oil level until it is full. Do not overfill.
Things You Will Need
- 2-quart container with lid
- Adjustable wrench
- 1½ quarts of SAE 30W oil
- Check oil before each use and after every eight hours. Keep oil filled between oil changes.
- Replace a Poulan Chainsaw Oil Pump
- Change the Oil in a Murray Lawn Mower
- How Often Should You Change the Hydro Fluid of a Cub Cadet?
- Tune up a Honda Lawn Mower
- Change the Oil in a Murray Lawnmower
- How Do You Change the Oil in a John Deere 314 Hydrostatic Transmission
- Replace the Front Wheel Bushing in a John Deere L130
- Replace Cub Cadet Steering Bushing
- Make Wheat Germ Oil
- Change a Weedeater Fuel Filter
- Change the Mower Blade of a Lawn Boy
- Instructions for Greasing a Toro Riding Mower