Plants and trees need trace amounts of chlorine for growth, but chlorine is toxic in large amounts. If a plant gets too much chlorine, the leaves may develop spots or drop off. Heating water or letting it stand overnight can eliminate chlorine from tap water.
About the Author
Cameron Delaney is a freelance writer for trade journals and websites and an editor of nonfiction books. As a journalist, Delaney worked for wire services, newspapers and magazines for more than 20 years. Delaney's degrees include a bachelor's degree in journalism from Pennsylvania State and a master's degree in liberal arts from University of Denver.