Growing sweet corn in your home vegetable garden will allow you to enjoy this crop all summer long. However, you have to space corn properly for it to pollinate correctly. Corn is usually planted in rows of three or more for optimum pollination efficiency. Because corn is pollinated by the wind, the rows of corn need to be close enough and in large enough quantities that they will get pollinated. When planting, space corn rows about 30 inches apart. This makes it easy for the wind to pollinate the corn and provides the gardener easy access to the pick the fresh corn once it is ripe.
Prepare your garden for planting corn. Plant corn in a square that measures at least 8 feet by 8 feet. You can plant corn in a larger area as well.
Measure your rows lengthwise. Run the hoe as close to the outer edge of your corn bed as possible. Create a 1- to 2-inch-deep furrow in the soil. Make the furrow as straight as possible.
Sprinkle corn seeds into the furrow. Space each seed about 9 to 12 inches apart. Cover the seeds with soil.
Measure from the first furrow about 30 inches width-wise into the corn bed. Start your new furrow here. Keep measuring the space from the first furrow to the second as you make the new furrow with the hoe. Make sure your furrows are evenly spaced. Lay the measuring tape on the ground to get the most accurate measurement.
Repeat steps 2 through 4 until you have planted your entire corn bed.
Things You Will Need
- Measuring tape
- Corn row spacing can be up to 36 inches apart and as close as 20 to 15 inches, but 30 inches is standard.
- Planting more corn will result in higher chances of pollination than planting less corn.
- What Is the Difference Between the Germination of a Bean Seed & the Germination of a Corn Seed?
- Grow Bodacious Sweet Corn
- Which Fertilizer Works Best for Corn?
- Plant Corn Seed
- Grow Pole Beans With Corn
- Grow Peaches & Cream Sweet Corn
- Soak Corn Seeds Before Planting
- Spray Corn with Liquid Fertilizer
- Grow Corn in a Container Garden
- Grow Japanese Hulless Popcorn
- Grow Corn in a Greenhouse
- How Many Seeds Are in an Average Sized Pumpkin?