If you've got a lot of yard to mow, a lawn tractor can make your job considerably faster and easier. If you own a lawn tractor you will occasionally be in the position of needing to replace the battery. You should know that there is a right way and a wrong (dangerous) way to hook up a lawn tractor battery. This is the right way.
Set the battery in the battery compartment so that the positive (+) (red) pole of the battery is within easy reach of the red battery wires and the negative (-) (black) pole of the battery is within reach of the black battery wires. Always wear gloves and eye goggles when handling a lawn tractor battery
Clean the battery poles by brushing them with a wire brush or by twisting a special battery post cleaner on each post. Clean the inside of the large square battery connectors as well. Use 60-grit sandpaper to clean inside the battery connector.
Slip the red (positive) battery post connector over the positive (+) post of the battery. Use your box-end wrench or your ratchet to tighten the nut that snugs the post connector to the post of your battery. Tighten very snugly so that the post connector does not move. Always connect the positive post of the battery first.
Place the black (negative) battery post connector over the negative (-) post of the battery. Use your box-end wrench or your ratchet to tighten the nut that connects the connector to the negative pole of your battery. Be careful not to make any direct connection between the two poles of the battery while you are attaching the battery cables.
Start the lawn tractor to verify that all connections have been properly made.
Things You Will Need
- Eye goggles
- Wire brush
- 60-grit sandpaper
- Box-end wrench or ratchet
- Always wear gloves and eye goggles when working with a lawn tractor battery.
- Keep all cigarettes and sparks away from the battery when making connections; batteries can build up explosive gasses.
- Do not wear lose jewelry when working on a battery as these could cause a short circuit.
- Never directly connect the positive and negative poles of the battery.
- Never make a connection between the positive pole of the battery and the metal frame of the mower.