Before fussing and cussing over how to remove a pine stump, consider turning that eyesore into a functional seat for quet enjoyment of the garden and surrounding lawn. Pine is a resinous wood, so it will be necessary to treat the stump surface so you don't get stuck by the seat of your britches while enjoying this makeshift chair. Wood stains suitable for pine are available at paint shops and hardwood stores, along with polyurethane coatings to seal the wood and create a glassy finish on your new pine stump seat.
Sand the stump surface to remove any rough spots from where the trunk was cut. A smooth cut with a chain saw may require minimal sanding by hand, perhaps no more than half an hour. A pine tree felled witht an axe might require an orbital sander to smooth out the stump into a surface suitable for sitting.
Apply an oil-based wood stain in the color of your choice with a brush or rub it into the stump surface with old rags. The pine may absorb some of the stain, so allow the surface to dry for 24 hours before applying additional coats. A pint of stain should be sufficient for this project.
Use a fine-grit sandpaper to score the stump surface slightly to provide a better bonding surface for the clear sealant.
Apply polyurethane sealant to the stump surface and around the sides with a paint brush. Allow the sealant to dry overnight before adding a second coat. Three coats may be necessary to achieve a smooth, glossy finish on the stump seat. Polyurethane sealant is sold under a variety of brand names, including 3M, Sikaflex, DAP and Waterblock, at hardware and paint stores.
Things You Will Need
- Sandpaper or electric orbital sander
- 1 pint of oil-based wood stain
- 1 gallon of polyuretheane wood sealant
- Unlike hardwoods, pine stumps will not rot, so they are an ideal choice for conversion into a seat.
- Stop Termite Damage in Pine Trees
- Small Wooden Crafts to Make
- Make Pine-Sap Salve
- Remove Paint From Vandalized Trees
- Use Formby's Tung Oil
- Trim Pine Trees
- The Best Time of Year to Trim Pine Trees
- Make a Tree Stump Bird Bath
- Kill Oak Trees
- Homemade Solutions for Tree Stump Removal
- The Best Way to Decompose Old Stumps
- Remove Large Tree Stumps