Growing grass from seed is a process that takes patience and careful planning in the Coloradan climate. Native varieties are hardier than introduced grasses and help restore the land to its natural state. In Colorado, it is recommended to plant grass seeds after the first frost has occurred but before the ground is frozen. Cool season grasses are the most widely planted in Colorado, and Kentucky bluegrass is perhaps the most prominent species.
Choose the right type of grass. The mountains of Colorado experience very cold average winter temperatures and grow cool season grasses, such as fine fescue and ryegrass, relatively well. Eastern Colorado, on the other hand, maintains warm temperatures in spring and summer and is a good climate for buffalo grass.
Find the right area to plant your grass seed. Most types of grasses require full sun and do best in well-draining soils.
Prepare the soil by breaking up clumps with a rototiller and removing any weeds. In soils with poor nutrient quality, mix in compost or manure.
Make small holes with your hand in a checkerboard pattern or broadcast seeds over an area.
Drop two to three grass seeds into each hole and cover with no more than ¼ inches of soil. Each square inch should contain 10-15 seeds.
Water grass bed lightly but do not saturate soil. Continue to water seeds each day until grass is 2 inches high.
Use a general purpose lawn fertilizer especially designed for newly planted grass. Follow the instructions on the label carefully so as not to burn the roots.
Things You Will Need
- Compost or manure
- Plant a cover crop in and around your grass seed bed to limit erosion and protect seedlings from harsh Colorado winds.
- Keep pets and kids away from newly planted area until grass is fully established.
- How Long to Plant Grass Seeds After Using Fungicide?
- Plant Grass Seeds in the Fall
- Plant Grass Seeds in Michigan
- The Correct pH for Grass
- Grow Japanese Forest Grass
- The Best Grass Seed for Southern Lawns
- Plant Fescue Grass
- Grow Kikuyu Grass
- Plant Grass Seed in Thin Soil
- Grow Grass in Massachusetts
- Plant Grass Seeds in the Spring in Central Indiana
- The Best Time to Plant Grass in Virginia