Sowing a lawn in Michigan requires purchasing a grass seed that is hardy for the climate. Kentucky bluegrass is a common turf grass used throughout the state of Michigan because it will grow well in cool weather and maintain its growth during the hot summers. Watering is necessary during periods of low rain fall to assist with maintaining the sturdy lawn texture. The lawn will respond well when mowed to a height of 1-1/2 to 2 inches in length.
Purchase grass seed that is hardy for the climate in Michigan. Kentucky bluegrass and bluegrass mixes are commonly used for turf grass throughout the state of Michigan.
Test the soil pH levels with a home pH test kit. Kentucky bluegrass prefers a soil that has a pH between 6.0 and 7.0.
Use a tiller to work the soil. Add top soil to fill in holes or low areas and compost to soil to increase nutrient value and increase moisture retention. Remove vegetative debris and rocks from the planting area.
Amend the soil with limestone to increase the pH number or ground rock sulfur to lower the pH number. Rake well to work the amendments into the soil and apply water to increase the absorption rate.
Pack the planting area by running a lawn roller across the entire soil surface. Add water to the roller to increase the weight if necessary to lightly pack the soil surface.
Apply the grass seed through the planting area with a grass seeder. This will give an even application of seed over the soil surface.
Cover the planting surface with straw mulch to protect the seed from wind and retain moisture for germination.
Water the seeded area twice a day for the first week making sure there are no standing puddles. Continue to water regularly to keep the soil moist until the grass becomes established.
Things You Will Need
- Grass seed
- pH test kit
- Top soil
- Ground rock sulfur
- Lawn roller
- Straw mulch
- Use a lightweight lawn roller after seed application if you will not be applying mulch. This will help hold the seed in place.
- Do not mow the grass until it reaches a height of at least 3 inches.
- Plant Grass Seed in Southern Ontario
- How Long Does It Take for Grass Seed to Sprout?
- Grow Vaughn's Bermuda Grass
- Germinate Bahia Grass Seeds
- Best Way to Reseed a Grass Lawn
- Use Pre-Emergent & Grass Seed
- Lay Sod Properly
- The Best Way to Overseed a Lawn
- When to Plant Grass Seed in West Virginia
- Grow Grass Seed in Colorado
- Plant Grass Seed & Fertilizer
- Grow Bentgrass