Whether you have flowers from a wedding bouquet, a birthday or anniversary, or some particularly beautiful blooms in your garden, preserving the blossoms can help you to save the memories and the beauty. Many methods exist to preserve fresh flowers, such as pressing and drying them. These methods, however, won’t necessarily prevent the blossoms from losing their color. Use a simple technique to preserve flowers along with their vibrant colors.
Preserve your flowers immediately after picking them. Cut off the stems at the base of the blossom, using sharp scissors.
Strain the Borax through a sieve to remove any lumps. Mix four parts of the Borax with one part silica gel.
Pour a 1/2-inch layer of the Borax and silica gel mixture into an airtight glass jar. Place a blossom face-down on the powder mixture and pour more of the mixture onto the flower until you’ve coated it well.
Place another flower blossom on top of this layer face-down. Repeat this process with all your blossoms until the jar is full. Secure the airtight lid to the jar.
Store the filled jar in a dry place for about four weeks. Afterward, remove the flowers carefully and blow the powder mixture off the blossoms.
Things You Will Need
- Fresh flowers
- Silica gel
- Large glass jar with airtight lid
- Hairspray (optional)
- Another way to preserve flowers without losing the color is to spray them with hairspray and hang the flowers upside down in a dark, cool place to allow them to dry. This method will prevent the blossoms from losing their color, but it won't preserve the flowers' overall shape.
- Starting the preservation process before the flowers begin to wilt and die is essential to preserving the color of the blossoms.
- Preserve Flowers With Hairspray
- Best Conditions For Growing Perennial Flowers
- Dry Flowers With Hairspray
- Press Dried Flowers & Keep the Color
- Plant Flowers Outside
- Dry Flowers With a Microwave
- Preserve Flowers at Home
- Keep Flowers Fresh With Sugar
- Dry Flowers Upside Down
- The Uses of Flowers
- Preserve Flowers in Jewelry
- Dry Bird of Paradise Flowers