A dwarf weeping cherry tree adds color and character to many landscapes. Prune and trim cherry trees annually to keep them in peak health and form. Although most stone fruit trees should be pruned in the winter, prune weeping cherries in the summer after they have flowered to avoid Silver Leaf disease. By reducing the dead wood and excess branch load on the tree, you ensure that more of the tree's resources go to flowering and trunk growth, thus encouraging more flowers and a healthier tree.
Prune dead wood from the tree at any time of the year. Dead wood uses nutrients and water that are better put to use creating flowers or new growth. Use pruning shears for dead wood about a finger's width in thickness. For larger branches, use a pruning saw. Cut 2/3 of the way through the branch from the bottom and then complete the cut from the top to prevent splitting and splintering.
Remove any branches that cross each other. Use pruning shears for branches about a finger's width thick. Use a pruning saw for thicker, heavier branches. When using a saw on heavier branches, cut about 2/3 of the way through the branch from the bottom and complete the cut to prevent splitting and tearing.
Thin a few of the thinner and weaker upper branches with pruning shears to allow sun to reach the inner areas of the tree.
Trim the branches that touch the ground with pruning shears. Although you can prune the weeping branches to any distance from the ground, pruning the branches to around 1/3 of the tree's height often creates a visually well-balanced tree. For example, if you have a 6-foot tree, prune the weeping branches to about 2 feet above the ground.
Things You Will Need
- Pruning shears
- Pruning saw
- If cutting an unusually large and heavy branch, cut the branch about 1 foot from the trunk. After you have removed the heavy branch, cut off the 1 foot stub.
- Prune a Silver Dollar Eucalyptus Tree
- Prune Ornamental Cherry Trees
- The Best Time to Prune Cedar Trees
- Cut Back Japanese Maple Trees
- Time of Year for Pruning Fig Trees
- When to Prune Black Walnut Trees
- Care for an Outdoor Fig Tree
- Prune a Dwarf Lilac Tree
- History of the Weeping Willow
- Tree of Life Pendant Meaning
- Use Felling Wedges
- Grow Japanese Plum Trees