Houseplants that thrive in ambient light grow in the existing light of a room without the addition of special lighting. Extra lighting for houseplants can be costly and bright lights in the home or office may not be appropriate for the type of atmosphere you are trying to create within your home--or allowed in an office setting. That's why it's important to pick plants that inherently grow well in ambient light.
Pothos ivy (Epipremnum aureum) continues to grow in all directions but can be cut back at anytime. Pothos ivy is a good plant for offices or bathrooms where light levels may be low. It has large heart-shaped leaves and prefers moist soil.
Peace lily (Spathiphyllum) grows in ambient light and produces large white blooms resembling sea shells at the end of long narrow stems. It has broad dark green leaves and can live for many years if given appropriate care.
Rubber plant (Ficus elastica) can grow up to 10 feet tall but needs to be cut back to shape if it gets too tall. It has broad green tropical leaves and thrives in ambient light situations.
Snake plant (Sansevieria trifasciata)--also known as Mother in Law's Tongue--has spear-like leaves that are green or variegated and stand upright taking up little room but making a dramatic statement. The snake plant is one of the most drought-tolerant plants appropriate for growing indoors.
Cast Iron Plant
The cast iron plant (Aspidistra elatior) is famous for its ability to grow in low light situations with little care. It has broad green leaves and spreads by the root system eventually filling up the pot or planting space. Supplemental moisture will keep the foliage looking fresh.
- Plants That Are Good for Windowless Offices
- Indoor Plants That Don't Need Sunlight
- What Is the Name of the Indoor House Plant That Has Green Leaves and Long Vines?
- The Best South Florida House Plants
- Fast-Growing House Plants
- Indoor Plants That Love Shade
- What Are the Causes of Dry Edges on a Prayer Plant Leaf?
- House Plants for Dark Rooms
- Care Instructions for Pothos Plants Indoors
- The Names of Indoor Plants
- Indoor Plants That are Safe for Pets
- Care for a Haworthia