Essential oils are costly aromatherapy and cooking products that can be made at home with minimal supplies. An essential oil is an oil that is infused with the aroma from plants. The oil is used for cooking or personal care, making it important to choose the oil and plant infusion scent based on the purpose of the finished product. Take the time to research plant combinations to create scents and flavors that appeal to your specific taste.
Collect plant material and process as required. Place flowers in a plastic bag and gently bruise to open the pores. Grate citrus peels to create zest and crush spices.
Purchase your oil of choice and fill a 600-mm clean and dry glass jar or container half full.
Add a minimum of 8 tbsp. flower petals to the oil. Additional herbs, spices and citrus zest can be added to enhance the scent.
Cover the container tightly and let set for 48 hours in a sunny window. Shake the container every 12 hours to mix the contents.
Strain the oil and flower parts with a piece of muslin or cheesecloth. Squeeze the muslin and flowers to extract as much oil and scent as possible. Put the oil back into the container and add a new supply of the same fresh flowers.
Repeat the 48-hour infusion process until the desired scent is achieved.
Strain the finished product and place the oil in a dark glass bottle to increase the shelf life of the oil.
Things You Will Need
- Plant material
- Citrus zest
- Plastic bag
- 600-mm glass container with lid
- Muslin or cheesecloth
- Dark glass bottle
- Appropriate oil choices are refined olive, safflower, sesame, wheat germ or almond oil. Use olive, safflower and sesame oil for cooking and almond or wheat germ oil for personal care.
- Mix flowers, herbs, spices and zest to achieve a potpourri mixture scent. Interesting mixtures include rose petals, lavender, nutmeg, cinnamon, and orange zest or lavender, lemon balm, peppermint and marjoram.
- Make Funeral Flowers Into Beads
- Dry Flowers & Twigs
- Preserve Flowers in Silica
- Dry Flowers in a Microwave
- Extract Oil From Roses
- Preserve Flowers in Jewelry
- Embed Flowers Into Resin
- Dye Wool With Geraniums
- Make Fly Repellent
- Use Fresh Dillweed Flowers
- Make Mint Oil With Fresh Mint
- Make Homemade Insect Plant Spray