Cucumber plants are vines that climb, sending out curling tendrils that attach themselves to anything they touch, supporting the plant as it grows. The vines do best when encouraged to climb and a trellis is excellent support for this. It's easy to make a trellis for your cucumbers using chicken wire and a few other supplies available at a home improvement center.
Construct a wooden frame by placing three of the 32-inch 2-by-2 boards parallel to each other and 3 feet from each other.
Place two of the 6-foot 2-by-2 boards along the ends of the 32-inch boards. Screw the 6-foot boards to the 32-inch boards to form the frame.
Lay the frame flat on the ground and place one of the sections of chicken wire on top of it, fitting it to the frame. Staple the chicken wire to the frame and trim the wire, if necessary.
Repeat the procedure with the remaining boards and chicken wire to produce a second frame.
Place the frames end to end with the chicken wire face down. Attach the hinges to the frames where they meet to connect the frames to each other. Fold one frame onto the other to move the trellis.
Stand the trellis on end in the garden, hinges to the top. Separate the ends, about 4 feet, to form an A frame. Plant your cucumber plants on the outside of both sides of the frame. Train the plants up the trellis as they grow.
Things You Will Need
- 4 2-by-2-inch boards, 6 feet long
- 6 2-by-2-inch boards, 32 inches long
- 3-inch decking screws
- 2 medium-size hinges and screws
- 2 3-by-6 sections of chicken wire
- Staple gun with 3/8-inch staples
- Make a Noodle Lounger Raft Chair
- Train a Zucchini Plant to Grow Up a Trellis
- What Is the Minimum Temperature for Begonia Tubers?
- Easy Cucumber Trellis
- Build a Planter Box From Fence Boards
- How Much Lime to Add to Water to Raise the PH From 7 to 8?
- Build a Garden Cart With Bicycle Wheels
- Grow Cucumber & Zucchini on a Trellis
- Install Gorilla Bottom Above-Ground Pool Floor Padding
- The Differences Between a Lattice & a Trellis
- Build a Pole Bean Trellis
- Make Greenhouse Shelving