When seeding your own lawn, the ultimate goal is to have a green, flourishing, healthy lawn. In order to achieve this, you must prepare the ground correctly, as well as protect the grass seed after planting. An ideal material to protect grass seed with is peat moss. Keep in mind that the best time to seed is in spring or fall.
Use a till or rake to sift around the top two inches of soil where you are going to plant seed. Discard of any dirt clods, rocks or broken roots. Once complete, rake over the area one more time to smooth and even out the soil.
Use your hands to layer the grass seed over the soil as evenly as possible. Start at one end of the lawn, sprinkling the seed back and forth to the other end. Rake over the soil after you are finished planting the seed so it can be integrated completely into the soil.
Use your hands to layer peat moss over the grass seed, about 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick. This will help protect it from being blown away by strong winds or eaten by foraging birds and will also provide insulation for the seeds to sprout. This protection for the grass seed is very important in order for the lawn to grow lush and healthy.
Water your lawn immediately after layering the insulation, either with an irrigation system or sprinkler. Water it thoroughly for five minutes so a couple inches of water can seep into the ground. Wait 10 minutes, then water it for another five minutes. This will ensure that the water doesn't puddle and wash away seeds. From here on, water the grass seed two times a day for the first two weeks–in the morning and in the afternoon.
Things You Will Need
- Grass seed
- Rake or till
- Peat moss
- Watch for the seed to germinate, usually within a week and a half.
- After germination, water the lawn every day in the morning. The next week, water it every other day. The week after that, water it three times a week, and so on.
- The Best Time to Seed Kentucky Bluegrass
- Plant Grass Seed & Fertilizer
- Water Grass Seeds
- Grow Grass Cheaply
- The Best Grass Seed for Full Sun
- The Best Way to Seed a Lawn
- The Best Cover Over Grass Seed
- Make Grass Seed Grow Fast
- Sand Over Grass Seed
- Grass Seed and Fertilizer Combination
- Overseed With a Lawn Dethatcher
- Power Seed a Lawn