Fig trees belong to the Ficus plant family and are fairly easy to grow. A fig tree at optimal growth ranges 10 to 30 feet tall. Fig trees were first planted in Western Asia and have been popular throughout the world for 7,000 years. Figs can be grown in a variety of climates, but thrive in warmer climates such as the Mediterranean regions of Greece, Turkey and Cyprus. Growing fig trees to size will require optimal spacing when planting so that they are able to reach their maximum output.
Pick a spot in your lawn or garden where the fig tree can get direct sunlight and provide ample room for optimal growth. If the goal is to grow the tree to 30 feet, provide 15 feet of spacing on both sides of the tree so it can reach its growth potential.
Remove all twigs, branches or dead leaves from the area where the fig tree will grow. Gardening gloves will make this step easier.
Uncover with a spade or shovel the soil where the fig tree will grow. Break up any large clumps of soil with your fingers and add 3 cups of good potting soil to your soil. This will help add nutrients to the soil for the fig tree to absorb.
Ensure that the roots of the fig tree are planted at least 3 inches under ground level. Pat down the soil on top of the roots of the fig tree.
Water the tree at least twice weekly. Pruning is not necessary as long as there is proper spacing for the tree to reach optimal growth.
Things You Will Need
- Gardening Gloves
- Trash bag
- Spade or shovel
- Nutrient-rich soil
- When planting fig trees, it is important to provide enough space between plants for fig trees to grow to size.
- Be sure to cover the fig tree with plastic bags during winter nights where frosting will occur. It is important to provide protection from frost for the fig tree to reach optimal growth.
- Why Do Fig Leaves Curl?
- Interesting Facts About Fig Trees
- How Destructive Are Common Fig Tree Roots?
- Types of Italian Fig Trees
- Grow Fig Trees in Georgia
- Plant & Care for Fig Trees
- How Much Water Do Peach Trees Need?
- Winterize a Fig Tree
- Are There Any Dwarf Pecan Trees?
- Get Rid of Stink Bugs
- How Many Mango Trees Can Be Planted Per Acre?
- Fig Tree Varieties