Hungry deer can do a lot of damage to flower and garden beds, especially if you have a lot of deer in your area and not enough food to go around. A plethora of homemade deer repellents and scare tactics have been developed by people throughout the ages. One of the most widely used homemade deer repellents is the “egg spray,” which is an extremely simple and all-natural – albeit incredibly stinky – mixture that you can spray around your flowers to keep the deer away. Deer hate foul smells, and they certainly won’t like the taste of this spray.
Put eggs, garlic cloves, Tabasco sauce, Cayenne pepper and water into a blender and puree. Let the mixture sit at room temperature for at least two days.
Pour the mixture into a spray bottle. Spray the mixture around the flowers. Re-spray once every week or two and after rain.
Mix in coyote or cougar urine for more deterring power. You can purchase deer predator urine at most garden or feed stores or online.
Things You Will Need
- 2 eggs
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp. of Tabasco sauce
- 2 tbsp. Cayenne pepper
- 2 cups water
- Spray bottle
- Deer predator urine (optional)
- In addition to the spray, you can use other techniques to keep deer away from your flowers. Try a "scarecrow sprinkler," which has a motion sensor that will detect the deer's movement and trigger a spray of water at the deer. You can try using Milorganite fertilizer to deter deer or hanging mesh bags of unwashed human or dog hair in the trees near your flowers.
- Don't spray your flowers with any chemicals or sprays that will kill your plants. Use only natural or organic sprays.
- Don't store homemade deer spray indoors, because it will stink up your house. Keep the spray bottle in a shed or a sheltered area outdoors, far away from your house.
- Make Deer Repellant
- Protect Grapevines From Deer
- Keep Rabbits Out of Flower Beds
- Keep Deer From Eating Flowers
- Kill Ants With Corn Meal
- Keep Pets Out of Flower Beds
- Making Homemade Deer Plant Repellent
- Keep Deer Out of Flower Beds
- Keep Deer Away From Vegetable Gardens
- Make a Garden Squirrel Repellent
- Make Homemade Natural Mosquito Insecticide
- Stop Animals From Digging Up Flower Beds