Mulch is usually sold measured in cubic yards or cubic feet, but it’s not too hard to figure out how many square yards that translates to. Remember that a yard is three feet long, so a square yard is 3 feet long by 3 feet wide, for a total of 9 square feet.
Measure the area you want to cover in mulch in feet. Use a measuring tape for irregular areas or curved lines, or a yardstick if straight lines will work for you. Take measurements at the longest and widest parts for irregular areas.
Multiply the length times width to get the total area in square feet. If your measurements include inches, convert them to fractions of feet. For instance, 6 inches is half a foot; or 8 inches is two-thirds of a foot.
Divide the number of square feet by 9 to find out how many square yards of mulch you will need.
Figure out how many bags of mulch this means. Most bags contain 2 or 3 cubic feet of mulch. Take the number of square yards you already figured out and multiply it by the depth in feet you want to spread the mulch. For instance, if you want to spread it 2 inches deep, multiply the square yards by one-sixth of a foot, or 0.167. This gives you the amount in cubic feet.
Divide the number of cubic feet you figured out by the amount in each bag to get how many bags of mulch you should buy. Or, if buying in bulk, convert cubic feet to cubic yards. There are 27 cubic feet in a cubic yard, so divide the number of cubic feet by 27 to get cubic yards.
Things You Will Need
- Measuring tape or yardstick
- Calculator, if needed
- When choosing a mulch depth, avoid spreading a layer of mulch deeper than about 2 inches, to avoid fungus and mold problems.
- It's OK to approximate the area you need to cover. For instance, the area you want to mulch may not be perfectly rectangular; just measure as close as you can get, and round up slightly to make sure you have enough mulch.
- Measure for Cement
- Figure How Much Concrete You Need
- Formula to Calculate Cubic Yard Concrete
- Measure a Cubic Yard of Soil
- Calculate How Much Crushed Stone I Need
- Calculate the Volume of Small Garden Ponds
- How Many Pounds of Corn Seed to an Acre?
- Calculate Fertilizer Application
- Calculate Mulch Coverage
- Buy Bagged Topsoil
- Measure a Swimming Pool
- Estimate Concrete Block