Lemon verbena is a perennial shrub native to South America. The leaves of the plant are used in many culinary recipes and herbal teas, while the essential oils are popular in cologne, air fresheners and aromatherapy recipes. A sachet is a collection of fragrant herbs, spices and flowers (also known as potpourri), essential oil, and a fixative such as orris root powder (ground iris root) to make the scent last longer. Use 1 tablespoon of orris root powder for 2 cups of potpourri.
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place the lemon verbena leaves and stems on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Dry them in the oven for 2 hours, or until completely dry. The leaves may be dry before the stems, so check them frequently to make sure they don't burn.
Crumble the cooled lemon verbena cuttings in a bowl, using your fingers. Don't crush the material, but just lightly crumble it into medium-size pieces.
Mix the orris root and essential oil, a drop at a time, in a bowl, and then pour it over the verbena clippings, mixing well.
Place 2 tablespoons of the lemon verbena mixture in the center of a fabric square, and pull up all of the corners. Tie the ribbon around the top to keep the package closed. If you are using the cotton tea bags, add the verbena mixture to the tea bag and seal with the drawstring.
Things You Will Need
- 2 cups lemon verbena clippings (stems and leaves)
- Parchment paper
- Shallow baking pan or sheet
- 1 tablespoon orris root powder
- Lemon verbena essential oil
- Fabric squares, 6-inch square, or cotton tea bags
- You can purchase potpourri ingredients online or at a craft store. Florists will sometimes give away spent flowers as well.
- You can also add to the potpourri mix other essential oils, herbs and spices.
- Extract Essential Oils From Plants
- Extract Lavender Oil From a Lavender Plant
- Cook Yucca Spanish Root
- Make Peppermint Oil from a Peppermint Plant
- Homemade Lemon Verbena Perfume Recipes
- Air Freshener Made From Mint From the Garden
- Extract Oil From Rose Hips
- Make Rosemary Potpourri
- Harvest Astragalus
- Embed Flowers Into Resin
- Extract Essential Oils From the Licorice Plant
- Preserve Flowers in Silica