Whether you’re relocating a plant or removing it all together, there can be times when you just want to get rid of rose of Sharon. The key to removing your plant is to wait for fall when the rose of Sharon’s leaves have fallen and the plant has gone dormant for the winter. Have a friend help you if your plant is old or well established as the roots and branches can be quite heavy. In just a few hours you can have your area clear and ready to replant or spread out grass seed.
Dig around the base of the plant working approximately a foot away from the main trunk or grouping of stems. Try to dig straight down so you don’t severe any roots and leave plant material behind.
Work down as far as you can manage up to 1 foot deep. Come together under the plant as you go, but try to leave the root ball intact as much as possible to ensure it all comes out.
Press the shovel handle down toward the ground, using it as a lever. Raise the shovel head while a friend pulls the plant upward. Lift the entire plant out of the ground and set it next to the hole.
Add garden soil to the hole as well as any remaining soil which was loosened or removed while exposing the root ball. Pack the soil lightly to form more solid ground.
Divide the root ball vertically into quarters and set each quarter into a container. These quarter portions can be planted out into other parts of your yard or given to others who want a free plant.
Things You Will Need
- Garden soil
- Clip or pull up any shoots which appear in the spring from dropped fall seeds. Spread mulch over the area if you think seeds may germinate and try to root.
- Use garden gloves and safety goggles while working and be especially careful during the lifting phase of removing the plant to avoid anyone getting poked by branches as the plant moves.
- Transplant Daffodil Bulbs
- Remove the Starter Solenoid on a Murray Mower
- Get Rid of Poison Ivy & Sumac
- Design Ideas for Small Gardens
- Divide Pampas Grass
- Remove a Mower Deck From a MTD Lawn Tractor
- Grow Cotton
- Grow & Propagate Russian Sage
- Get Rid of Stink Bugs
- Garden Shenandoah Switch Grass
- Build a Swimming Pool Fence
- Tear Down a Block Wall