Angel wing begonia or Begonia coccinea is a cane type begonia with succulent leaves and stems. This begonia grows upright with large wing shaped leaves. Periodically, clusters of small flowers appear on short stems. The blooms are white, pink or red. Propagation is through stem cuttings, which is a way to grow a plant that is the same as the parent plant. These propagated plants are called clones.
Wash a 6-inch plant pot with hot soapy water. Rinse the pot with a mixture of 1 part bleach and 9 parts water. This will get rid of any plant disease or hiding pests.
Mix equal parts of sand, peat moss and potting soil. This makes a lightweight potting soil that drains well. Fill your plant pot within 1 inch of the rim with your soil mixture.
Cut 4 to 6 inches off the end of a stem with a clean, sharp knife. Using a sharp knife minimizes the damage done to the cutting. A dull blade can crush the plant tissue.
Dip the cut end into the rooting powder. Place the stem cutting 2 inches into the soil in the plant pot. Spray the soil thoroughly with water. Place your plant pot in a warm area with indirect light.
Keep the angel wing begonia cutting moist by misting it with the spray bottle. Occasionally check for roots by gently tugging on the cutting. If it resists your pull, then it has formed enough roots to be transplanted into a larger pot.
Things You Will Need
- 6-inch plant pot
- Peat moss
- Potting soil
- Rooting powder
- Angel wing begonia
- Sharp knife
- Spray bottle
- Once the angel begonia is established in a larger pot, then allow the soil to dry between waterings. Place your plant in bright, indirect light.
- Cane-stemmed begonias like the angel wing begonia can reach 10 feet in height. Cut your angel wing back in the spring or early summer if it starts to grow too large. This will encourage new growth at the base of the plant. Your angel wing begonia may require staking as it grows taller.
- Installing Gazebo Support Beams
- Get Rid of Stink Bugs
- Grow Zebra Grass
- Take Care of a Zeezee Plant
- Start a Confederate Rose Bush From a Cutting
- Propagate Dracaena
- The Average Size of the Venus Fly Trap
- Are Chinese Palm Plants Poisonous to Cats?
- Propagate Rieger Begonias
- What Weed Killer Kills Buckthorn?
- Propagate a Ti Plant
- Replant Aloe Vera Plants