Although gravel driveways are much less expensive than asphalt, they have a distinct disadvantage when it comes to weeds. While weeds struggle to take root in asphalt, they find it easy to grow in gravel. Once spring arrives, your smooth gravel driveway will look more like a miniature weed forest. Get rid of the weeds in your gravel driveway and enjoy the neat look of the gravel once again.
Pull on some gardening gloves and pull up the weeds. Most gravel weeds have shallow roots, making them easy to get out of the ground.
Place the weeds carefully in a trash bag, taking care not to scatter any seeds.
Discard the weeds in a vegetation recycling bin. Don't use them for compost as the weeds will reseed in the warm, rich environment of a compost bin.
Rake the gravel over the bare patches left by the removed weeds.
Apply a chemical herbicide to the weeds. Put on a long-sleeved shirt, long pants and protective gloves.
Fill a spray bottle or pressure sprayer with the herbicide. Aim the sprayer as close to the plant as possible, and make sure you wet the leaves thoroughly. Herbicides work by being absorbed through the foliage of a plant.
Use a plastic rake (or your hands) to pick up the dead weeds after they have died down completely--usually a week or two later. Note that most herbicides are made for broad-leaf plants, which means they do not kill the seeds, so you will have to reapply the herbicide during the next growing season.
Rake the gravel over the bare spots left by the weeds.
Things You Will Need
- Gardening gloves
- Trash bag
- Plastic rake
- Chemical herbicide
- Spray bottle or pressure sprayer
- Create an organic herbicide by mixing 1 cup of salt with 1 gallon of white vinegar. Add a teaspoon of liquid soap and place in a spray bottle. Use just as you would a chemical herbicide.
- Weeds in gravel driveways are also easily killed with weed torches, as there is little danger of fire in the gravel.
- Kill Mare's-tail Weed
- Keep a Gravel Driveway Free of Weeds & Grass
- Keep Grass & Weeds Out of a Play Yard
- Types of Weeds in Centipede Grass
- The Best Time of Day to Spray for Lawn Weeds
- Top Weed Killing Herbicides
- Bleach As a Weed Killer
- Homemade Thistle Killer
- Clean Landscape Gravel
- Natural Ways to Kill Grass & Weeds
- The Best Way to Kill Weeds in Centipede Grass
- Alternatives to Roundup