x
 
 
Learn which plants thrive in your Hardiness Zone with our new interactive map!

How to Clean Mold Out of Glass Hummingbird Feeders

By Melynda Sorrels ; Updated September 21, 2017

With wings that flap at a rate as fast as 80 times per second, hummingbirds are always an awe-inspiring sight. Many like to attract these tiny birds to their home for the sheer joy of catching a glimpse of them in motion. Hummingbird feeders, like anything else that is exposed to moisture and warmth, can potentially accumulate mold, which is not only unsightly to look at but unhealthy for you and your quick little friends. Fortunately, cleaning it out is easy, so next time your local hummingbirds come by for a quick snack; they’ll never even know it was gone.

Take the feeder down from wherever you had it hanging.

Empty the liquid contents and wash them down the drain in the sink.

Mix 1/4 cup of chlorine bleach with a gallon of warm water in a bucket.

Set the feeder in the solution making sure that it is completely submerged.

Allow the feeder to soak for an hour.

Remove the feeder from the solution and use a brush to remove any residual mold.

Rinse the feeder with clean warm water.

Refill the feeder with the hummingbird food of your choice and hang it back up.

 

Things You Will Need

  • Chlorine bleach
  • Bucket
  • Brush

Tip

  • White vinegar is an acceptable substitute for chlorine bleach.

About the Author

 

Melynda Sorrels spent 10 years in the military working in different capacities of the medical field, including dental assisting, health services administration, decontamination and urgent medical care. Awarded the National Guardsman’s Medal for Lifesaving efforts in 2002, Sorrels was also a nominee for a Red Cross Award and a certified EMT-B for four years.