Many types of fruit trees can be started from seed. Some fruit trees, such as orange or lemon trees, can be started immediately from seed, while others require a certain amount of time at cold temperatures to encourage germination. This is known as breaking dormancy. Armed with a little knowledge, you can start fruit trees from seed in your own home and discover a great way to improve your garden.
Obtaining Your Seeds
Obtain seeds from a parent tree, fresh fruit from the grocery store or farmer's market or commercial sources such as seed companies or garden centers.
Remove the seeds from any fruit. If necessary, remove seeds from within hard pits using a nutcracker.
Ensure the seeds are fresh and free of disease or damage. Clean the seeds in water, if necessary.
Break the dormancy of your seeds, for certain species of fruit trees including apple, peach, pear, plum, nectarine and apricot, following steps 2 and 3 below.
Plant the seeds in the fall, directly into the ground if you live in areas where temperatures drop below 40 degrees F for 60 to 120 days.
In warmer climates, place the seeds about 1 inch deep in a container filled with a mixture of equal amounts of peat moss and sand, and refrigerate for 60 to 120 days. Water as needed to keep the soil from drying out.
Planting Your Seeds
Plant seeds in 1 or 2 inches of fertile soil and water them so the soil is damp, but not wet. You can plant seeds directly in the ground in a sunny spot, or in individual pots for transplant at a later time.
Fertilize lightly and water regularly.
Watching for growth within 3 weeks of planting.
Things You Will Need
- Peat moss
- Plastic container
- Fruit tree seeds
- Because seeds are produced by pollination from an unknown source, trees from seeds may not always resemble the parent plant.
- The Best Time to Seed Kentucky Bluegrass
- Grow Bird of Paradise From Seed
- How Long Does it Take a Papaya Tree to Produce Fruit?
- How Many Pounds of Corn Seed to an Acre?
- Grow a Weeping Cherry Tree From a Seed
- Grow Mangosteen From Seed
- Grow English Walnuts From Seed
- How Deep Should Corn Seeds Be Planted?
- Why Do Plants Store Food Energy in Seeds?
- Germinate Cherry Tree Seeds
- How Long Do Peach Tree Seeds Take to Germinate?
- Installing Gazebo Support Beams