Planting grass seed for a new, lush, healthy lawn is best done in the spring, from March to May. It requires some time and patience, but does not have to be as expensive as planting sod in a yard. The important thing to remember is to protect the grass seed after planting it from being blown away by the wind, weather elements and foraging birds.
Loosen up the soil of your yard with a tiller. This is probably the step that will take the longest amount of time. The soil needs to be worked loose about 2 inches deep into the ground. While you use the tiller, remove any dirt clods, broken roots or rocks from the area. Once you are done, rake over the yard to even out the soil.
Spread the grass seed over the ground, following the directions for the particular seed you've chosen. Use the rake over the ground after spreading the seed as evenly as possible in order to distribute the seed evenly throughout the soil.
Spread a layer or straw or peat moss over the grass seed, about 1/3 inch deep. Make sure it covers all the areas of the seed. It helps insulate the seed and protect it from birds and wind.
Water the newly seeded lawn with a sprinkler or irrigation system right after you seed it. Water it for about 15 to 20 minutes so the water penetrates at least 6 inches into the ground to keep the seeds moist. Water it in increments of five minutes to prevent puddles that could wash out the seeds. Water the yard twice a day for the first two weeks--once in the morning, then again in the afternoon.
Things You Will Need
- Peat moss or hay
- Reduce watering the yard to once a day once the grass seed germinates.
- Fertilize the lawn five to six weeks after the seeds sprout.
- Plant Grass Seed in the Early Spring
- How To Plant Grass in the Summer
- Power Seed a Lawn
- Plant Rye Grass in Florida
- Plant Grass in Oregon
- Plant Grass Seed in Maine
- Best Way to Reseed a Grass Lawn
- Plant Grass Seed in the Spring in Minneapolis
- The Best Way to Seed a Lawn
- Grass Seed Planting in the Fall
- When to Plant Grass Seed in West Virginia
- Plant Grass Seed in Spring