Floribunda roses are a type of hybrid rose that grows shorter than normal. It grows to 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 feet tall with large clusters of blossoms. This low-growing bush-type rose is very hardy, and has been bred to be disease and insect resistant. All roses need a site with at least five hours of sun per day with little competition from other plants.
Dig up the planting area to a depth of 2 feet. Break up dirt clumps and remove large rocks. Use a hoe to break the soil up and remove all weeds from the site. Add 2 to 3 inches of compost on top of the area. Mix it into the soil.
Prune the bare roots of your floribunda rose with sharp pruning shears. Cut all roots to the length of 8 inches. Snip off any roots that are broken or discolored.
Cut off weak canes with your pruning shears. Leave three to four strong canes with five to seven leaf buds on each. Prune away any canes growing from below the graft union.
Dig a hole 2 feet deep and 2 feet wide. Create a mound of soil in the bottom of the hole. Spread the roots over top of the mound. The graft union should be several inches below the soil line. If it is not below the soil line, then adjust the depth of the hole.
Fill the hole 2/3 full with soil around the rose bush. Fill the rest of the hole with water. This helps settle the soil around the roots without compacting the soil. Fill the hole the rest of the way with soil. Water the top of the planting area.
Things You Will Need
- Floribunda rose
- Pruning shears
- Floribunda roses need to be fertilized three times a year. Start feeding your roses in the spring just as the leaves start to open. Next feed them around the beginning of July while they are in the middle of flowering. The final feeding for the year should be in the middle of August.
- Avoid transplant shock in your floribunda rose by planting the bush while it is still dormant, either in the late fall or spring.
- How Well Does Roebic Root Killer Work?
- Design Ideas for Small Gardens
- Plant Lady Bank Roses
- Knockout Roses Planting Instructions
- Get Rid of Ant Mounds
- Grow Cotton
- Fertilize Raspberry Plants
- Harvest & Store Green Beans
- Plant a Rose Tree
- Installing Gazebo Support Beams
- Building Raised Vegetable Garden Beds
- Care for the KnockOut Rose