Nesting birds are a common problem among gardeners who grow flowers in hanging baskets. Birds seek out spots where they can make nests that will provide shelter from predators and inclement weather. Hanging baskets often provide the perfect spot, from a bird’s perspective. Once birds build a nest, it is not a good idea to disturb the birds. For this reason, preventing the birds from nesting in the first place is the best course of action.
Wear plastic gloves and slice the jalapeno peppers and the garlic cloves so you have raw edges of each.
Rub the raw surfaces of the garlic gloves and jalapeno peppers along the rims of the hanging baskets. The oils from the garlic and peppers will deter birds from nesting in the baskets. Apply fresh garlic and pepper one time each week.
Insert one plastic pinwheel in each side of the hanging basket so the plant has a pinwheel to the left and right of it. The pinwheels will move and give off noise and light and this will frighten away birds.
Hang the wind chimes near the hanging baskets to create noise and movement. This will deter nesting in the hanging baskets.
Things You Will Need
- Hanging baskets
- Plastic gloves
- Garlic clove (one per basket)
- Jalapeno pepper (one per basket)
- Utility knife
- Cutting board
- Plastic pinwheels (two per basket)
- Large wind chimes
- If birds do nest in your hanging baskets, the best course of action is not to disturb them. According to email@example.com, you must acquire a permit before disturbing nesting birds and nests. This law does not protect sparrows, starlings and pigeons, however.
- Keep Chipmunks Away From My Tomato Plants
- Are Chinese Palm Plants Poisonous to Cats?
- What is the Coldest Temperature that Vegetable Plants Can Handle?
- Attaching a Hanging Planter to a Cinder Block Fence
- The Best Herbs to Grow in Zone 10
- Outside Home Remedy to Get Rid of Gnats
- The Average Size of the Venus Fly Trap
- Keep Bees Out of Birdhouses
- Homemade Pesticide for a Vegetable Garden
- Ornamental Pepper Plants That Are Poisonous
- Grow Indoor Banana Peppers
- Kill Blow Flies