Commercial pesticides have been widely used for years in the garden, most of which are made from chemicals that are harmful to ground water and the soil. Organic gardening is becoming more popular with the use of organic materials such as manure for fertilizer and household products as weed killers. Essential oils have a place in the garden as well. Various essential oils are used as a pesticide and are very effective. Make your own pesticide with different essential oils.
Use spearmint oil with the water and liquid soap in the spray bottle, and spray garden plants to control ants, aphids, caterpillars, moths, gnats, black flea beetle and plant lice. It is important to use the liquid soap in all applications as the soap acts as an adherent so the oils will stick to the insects.
Spray plants with peppermint oil for controlling caterpillars, moths, aphids, bean beetle and ants.
Use lemongrass to control fleas, mosquitoes, ticks and beetles.
Eliminate cutworms, ticks, cabbage fly and bean beetle with Thyme oil.
Spray pine oil in the garden area to rid the garden of aphids, weevils, slugs and snails. Garlic oil works well for all insects listed as well.
Amend the soil with lavender oil. This will improve growing conditions for all plants and is a good compost material. Mix 2 to 3 drops into the soil surrounding plants. Use the same amount in small compost materials. In the spring, mulch all plants with the compost to encourage growth.
Use cinnamon oil to rid the garden of weeds. Spray directly on the weed only. Due to the potency of cinnamon, take care not to allow the spray to reach garden plants as it may damage them.
Things You Will Need
- Mist spray bottles
- 3 to 4 drops of various essential oils
- 3 to 4 drops liquid dishwashing soap
- Herbs That Grow Well in Ohio
- What Are the Treatments for Bugs on Gerbera Daisies?
- Pyrethrum Daisy as a Pesticide
- Safe Insecticides for Tomato Plants
- Vegetable Garden & Homemade Insect Repellent
- Plant the Herb Fennel
- Homemade Pest Control for Sunflowers
- Make Your Own Insecticide
- Insect Control for a Vegetable Garden
- Make Homemade Insect Plant Spray
- Instructions on Mix Ortho Garden Disease Control for Fruit Trees
- Seed-Bearing Herbs