The white oak or Quercus alba is a large deciduous tree with an irregular wide spread crown. A mature white oak can reach a height of 100 feet and a spread of 50 to 80 feet. It is hardy in zones 5 to 9 and will do well in full sun or partial shade. The well-pruned white oak makes a wonderful specimen or shade tree.
Prune any damaged or diseased branch as soon as you can by making a clean cut at the breaking point or by cutting off the entire branch. Clean cuts are required so that the plant can heal correctly. Dead or diseased branches can be pruned at any time of the year.
Look at your tree from all angles and decide what branches to prune to maintain size or to ensure safety. Locate the branch collar (this is on the underside of the branch where it connects to the trunk) and the branch bark ridge (this is on the topside of the branch where it connects to the trunk). Prune right in front of the branch bark ridge and the branch collar,. You do not want to leave a stub. Be careful not to cut into the branch collar or the branch bark ridge, this must be maintained for the health of the tree. Pruning should be done in winter or early spring when the tree is still in a dormant state.
Determine if you need to remove deadwood from the crown of the tree by making a visual inspection. The removal of dead twigs, branches, and limbs is referred to as thinning, and it is generally done by a professional tree service. They are well versed in what branches to but in order maintain the integrity and appearance of the tree.
Things You Will Need
- Hand pruning shears
- Lopping shears
- Pole pruner
- Tree saw
- Removing deadwood from the tree will allow the wind to move freely through the crown of the tree and lessen the amount of deadwood that falls to the ground during a high wind or storm.
- Avoid pruning any branches that are in close proximity to electric wires as this is extremely dangerous.
- Another danger is trying to remove large heavy branches as they can cause property damage or personal injury when they fall. When in doubt call in a professional.
- Trim Austrian Pine Trees
- Prune Pin Oak
- Prune Western Red Cedar
- Prune an Ornamental Crabapple Tree
- Prune Honey Locust
- Sell Residential Oak Tree Lumber
- Oak Trees and Fungus
- Prune Sweetgum
- The Best Time of Year to Prune Oak Trees
- The Best Time to Prune Cedar Trees
- Prune Bald Cypress
- Trim a Rubber Tree Plant