Whether pumped from treatment plants or pulled from a home well, tap water can contain a range of contaminants that harm plants. Watch for signs of impure tap water to prolong plant life and promote stronger growth.
Tap water with excess salts can prevent roots from absorbing enough water and nutrients. Tap water treated with chlorine and fluorine produces leaf spots, singeing and curling of leaf edges.
Plants poisoned by tap water may die very suddenly after many months of apparent good health.
The formation of white residue on soil, leaves or clay pots indicates the use of tap water with too much salt.
Tap water from home wells may be softened to reduce mineral content, introducing many salts that will injure roots and leaves.
Gardeners can remove some harmful chemicals from tap water by allowing it to sit for a day before being used.
Some plants are susceptible to being damaged by water that is too hot or cold. Only water plants with tap water that is close to room temperature.
- Are Mothballs Harmful in the Area of Your Vegetable Garden?
- Importance of Water in Plant Life
- Use Vinegar & Water to Flush Salt Build Up Out of Soil
- The Effects of Mineral Water on Plants
- Uses of Mineral Water for Plants
- TopChoice Insecticide Dangers
- The Effect of Cigarette Smoke on Plants
- The Effects of Water Softener on Plants
- The Best Type of Water to Give Plants
- White Spots on a House Plant
- What Causes Brown Tips on House Plants?
- Test for Soil Toxicity