Poisonous snakes are the last thing you want to find coiled up under your prize rose bush or anywhere in your yard. Some snakes are beneficial: the gopher snake can help keep pesky critters under control and the colorful king snake is said to dine on rattlesnakes. Snakes are not harmful to any of your plants, but venomous species can present a hazard to pets and other small animals. If you deny snakes the food and shelter they need, you will be a step ahead in repelling them from your property.
Learn about the species of snakes that exist in your region. Many snakes are beneficial and some are threatened or endangered—if they aren’t doing any harm, don’t harm them.
Make your yard into a no-snake zone by denying these creatures the types of habitats they favor. Seek out sheltered places and remove any metal cans or other objects where they might take cover. Also remove or clean up areas such as stacks of firewood, rocky areas and any other habitats that are cool and damp.
Control mice and other snake food sources by setting traps.
Capture snakes by sweeping them into a bucket with a broom, if possible. Then release them far from your home and any other homes.
Purchase an electronic snake repellent. The pulsing vibration can be helpful in repelling these creatures.
Things You Will Need
- Protective shoes
- Long pants
- Electronic snake repeller
- Hardware cloth
- Steel wool
- If you store firewood 12 inches or more above ground, the woodpile will not become a home to snakes.
- No commercial products such as poisons exist that are effective against snakes.
- Be very careful when you handle any type of snake. Even if you think it is not venomous, you could get a nasty surprise if it turns out to be one of the dangerous species.
- Some snakes are threatened or endangered, so use good judgment in your control efforts.
- Best Get Rid of Ticks in the Yard
- Catch a Red Squirrel
- Get Rid of Possums in the Yard
- Keep Snakes Out of Pools
- Get Rid of Flying Roaches
- Keep a Skunk & Possum Away From Your Barn
- Get Rid of Garden Frogs
- Common Spiders of NEPA
- Get Rid of Frogs in the Garden
- Keep Raccoons Away From My Deer Feeder
- Common Household Bugs in North Dakota
- Remove a Skunk From a Crawl Space