Rabbits are cute, furry, fun, and interesting to watch. The fun ends when they begin damaging your flowers or eating your vegetable garden. Rabbits enjoy nibbling on flower buds, blooms, and the fruits and vegetables of your garden. There are cost effective ways and items that you can find in your home that you can use to keep the rabbits away from your flowers without causing them harm.
Add items to your flower bed that will not appeal to a rabbit's sense of smell. If you have a dog, train the dog to use the bathroom near your flower bed. Sprinkle the hair of another predator such as a dog or cat. With the scent of a possible predator around your garden, a rabbit will sense that it is a dangerous area to be in.
Keep rabbits away from your flowers by adding spices such a pepper or cayenne pepper. Dilute hot sauce with water, or add cayenne pepper to water. Put it into a plastic water bottle, and mist the plants with the mixture. Rabbits will stay away once they get a taste of the pepper or hot sauce.
Fence in your flowers. Be sure to bury the fence at least 6 inches into the ground and make it about 2 to 3 feet tall. Keep in mind that rabbits can dig, so be sure that the fence is firmly in the ground. An example of affordable fencing to use is chicken wire.
Use cage traps around your flower gardens to catch the rabbits. Cage traps will not harm or kill the rabbits. Use carrots, lettuce, or cabbage to lure the rabbits in. Once a rabbit is caught, you can relocate it to the woods or the countryside.
Things You Will Need
- Dog or cat hair
- Chicken wire
- Garden tools for digging
- Water bottle
- Hot sauce
- Cayenne pepper
- Cage animal trap
- Keep a Skunk & Possum Away From Your Barn
- Keep Rabbits Away From Tomato Plants
- Keep Cat Urine Out of Your Flower Beds
- Stop Rabbits from Eating Your Flower Garden
- Keep Raccoons Away From My Deer Feeder
- Keep Deer Away From Geraniums
- Stop Squirrels From Digging in Flower Pots
- Keep Deer Away From Fruit Trees
- Get Rid of Rats in the Vegetable Garden
- Homemade Deer Repellant Recipes
- How To Keep Deer Out of a Vegetable Garden
- Garden Plants to Repel Cats