Lucky bamboo is a popular house plant. In Asian cultures, the number of bamboo stalks in a container has different meanings for good fortune. A twisted bamboo stalk in particular is known as a “money stalk” and is believed to bring wealth. Shaping a lucky bamboo plant takes time and patience. The most common method of growing a twisted bamboo plant is forcing the plant to lean towards a light source. Depending on how you position the plant, you can create all kinds of unique shapes.
Cut a cardboard box to fit your bamboo plant and container. Cut out the bottom and one side of the cardboard box until you have three sides. You should be able to cover three sides of the bamboo plant with the box.
Place the cardboard box around the bamboo. Leave one side open to a light source such as a window or grow lamp.
Leave the plant for several days or weeks. The lucky bamboo will start to lean towards the light.
Turn the plant away from the light. Once you notice the plant beginning to lean, turn the plant slightly into the box and away from the light to continue an outward curl. You can also turn the plant towards the light to make it curl in on itself.
Continue process. Keep turning the bamboo plant in the same direction for a spiral. Vary the directions for different types of twists. Continue the process until you have the desired shape. Be patient, this process could take several months or even years.
Things You Will Need
- Lucky Bamboo Plant
- Cardboard Box
- Rotate in fewer increments for a dramatic spiral.
- Place in a moist, humid environment such as a greenhouse for quicker results.
- Don't forget to keep your bamboo watered.
- Make Bamboo Crafts
- Plant Fargesia 'Green Panda'
- Make Homemade Bamboo Wind Chimes
- How To Plant Bamboo in Cold Climates
- Pot Bamboo Plants
- Bamboo Plant Diseases
- Care Instructions for Lucky Bamboo
- Instructions to Make a Wire Topiary Frame
- Plant Bamboo Shoots
- Plant Bamboo in Containers
- Save a Jade Plant
- Prune an Indoor Bamboo Plant