Plan the perfect garden with our interactive tool →

How to Kill Mold on House Plants

Mold is a type of fungus that can grow on any type of organic material, including diseased parts of house plants. Mold could grow on your plant because of poor maintenance, over-watering, lack of sunlight or a lot of spores floating in the area in which you keep your plant. Mold needs to be removed from your house plant as soon as possible to avoid nasal congestion, allergic reactions, sneezing and coughing, throat and eye irritation and itchy skin. After you have safely removed the mold from your plant, you must care for your plant by watering and possibly repotting to avoid more molds from forming.

Identify the mold on your plant and where it’s located before taking any action. If the mold is dormant it will appear as a light color that is powdery. Let your soil dry if the mold is dormant.

Take your plant outdoors and wipe off the mold with a wet paper towel. Wipe off the mold from the leaves in an area that is far from any other outside garden plants or trees. Bring your plant in and water the soil with a half cup of water.

Check to see if the mold is active if it’s not dormant. The mold it will appear soft and fuzzy. Using a sharp knife, cut off the stems to remove the entire leaf if the mold is active. Dispose of the leaf and then move your plant to a more bright location.

Purchase a fungicide from your local garden store to prevent mold. Use the fungicide according to the directions. You will most likely need to spray outside and then bring your plant back indoors.

Monitor your plant and care for it to prevent mold from recurring. Keep your soil dryer than before by reducing how much you water the plant. Also maintain a moderate temperature that is around 70 degrees F and provide beneficial air circulation near the plant.

Garden Guides