Creeping Charlie is sturdy weed that survives well in a yard. For a yard that only has a minor Creeping Charlie problem, manual weed removal may be effective. For a bigger problem, a natural borax weed killer is called for. Borax is non-toxic to humans and the environment but will kill plants. Creeping Charlie weeds are more sensitive to borax than grass is. The key to successfully using the borax weed killer to kill Creeping Charlie is to use enough to kill the weed but not enough to kill the grass.
Water lawn to soften the roots of the Creeping Charlie weeds.
Rake the lawn to pull out the majority of the weeds.
Manually remove any remaining Creeping Charlie weeds by grasping the weeds with your hands. Slowly pull the weeds out of the ground. Do not pull quickly or you might break the weed off and leave the roots.
Natural Borax Weed Killer
Make a natural weed killer solution out of borax and water. To make the solution, dissolve 10 ounces of borax in 1/2 cup of warm or hot water. Add the dissolved borax to 2.5 gallons of warm water. This recipe makes enough borax weed killer to treat a 1,000-square-foot lawn. Do not use this amount on a smaller size lawn or you could kill your grass. Cut or multiply the recipe to adjust for a different size lawn.
Put the borax mixture in a garden sprayer.
Spray a thin coating of the borax weed killer on the entire lawn.
Things You Will Need
- Garden sprayer
- Borax is available for purchase in the laundry section of grocery stores.
- Take good care of your lawn year-round. A healthy lawn is less likely to become overrun by Creeping Charlie weeds.
- Grass may turn a little brown after treatment with the borax weed killer. The grass will regain its green color after a few days.
- Borax remains in the soil for a long time. Do not use the borax weed killer more than once a year and do not use it more than two consecutive years. If Creeping Charlie weeds come back after a borax treatment, use manual weed removal techniques.
- Homemade Crabgrass Killer
- What Is Pre-Emergent Herbicide?
- Homemade Remedy to Kill Poison Ivy
- Choke Out Lawn Weeds
- Is a Horsetail Plant Dangerous to Dogs?
- How Much Grass Seed Per Square Foot?
- Homemade Weed Killer for Lawns
- The Best Fertilizer to Apply in Early Spring
- What Type of Grass Grows in the Shade?
- How Long Does It Take for Grass Seed to Sprout?
- Kill Mature Crabgrass
- Do I Water a Lawn After Applying Grub Control?