The carburetor is an important component of any engine, as it helps to contain the flow of air that goes into the engine. If you are having trouble controlling the speed of your Craftsman lawn mower, or if the mower won't move as fast as it should, you may have something wrong with your carburetor. You can manually remove the carburetor at any time to see if it needs to be cleaned or fully replaced. You can purchase a new carburetor part from an online retailer or from a Craftsman manufacturer.
Remove the two bolts holding the muffler, located on the bottom left of the engine, in place by using a socket wrench.
Remove the three bolts from the gas tank on the top of the engine, then pull out the oil stick from the engine.
Lift off the gas tank from the lawn mower, then disconnect the black fuel line from the motor by pulling it out with needle nose pliers.
Set the gas tank down onto its side, and remove the two screws holding the carburetor in at the end of the engine using a Phillips screwdriver.
Push up the two metal linkage rods attached to the top of the carburetor with your hand to unhook them from the engine. Turn and then pull the air filter off of the carburetor.
Place the new carburetor onto the engine in the same position with the linkage rods at the top of the carburetor, and slide the air filter into the back of the carburetor. Hook the linkage rods back into the slots of the bottom of the engine.
Reinsert the two screws into the carburetor, and place the gas tank back onto the mower. Reconnect the fuel link, and reinsert the oil stick into the engine.
Reinsert the three bolts into the gas tank, and reinsert the two bolts to the muffler.
Things You Will Need
- Socket wrench
- Phillips screwdriver
- Needle nose pliers
- Rebuild a Briggs & Stratton 12 HP Carburetor
- Change the Oil on a MTD Riding Lawnmower
- Repair a Stihl Chainsaw Bar Oiler
- Get Bad Gas Out of a Push Mower
- Adjust the Idle in a Honda OHV Lawn Mower
- Replace the Pawl on a Husqvarna Chainsaw
- Rebuild the Carburetor in a Homelite Chainsaw Super XL Auto
- Install a Needle Valve for a Lawnmower
- Replace a Coil on a Briggs Engine
- Remove the Top of a Whirlpool Washing Machine
- Problem with Oil Leaking onto Clutch of Stihl MS250
- Weedeater Hedge Trimmer Carburetor Repair