Controlling weeds in a Texas lawn can be done through proper maintenance and persistence. Poor maintenance of the lawn contributes to weeds getting a roothold in your lawn. There are several preventive methods to control the emergence of weeds in your lawn, but sometimes even the best maintained turf sprouts a weed or two. Maintaining a consistent schedule of feeding, watering and mowing your lawn is the best way to prevent and control weeds on a Texas lawn.
Mow often using a mulching mower. Cut Bermuda grass to a height of 3/4 inches to 1 1/4 inches, St. Augustine to a height of 2 to 3 inches and Centipede grass to a height of 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Letting Texas turf grasses get too tall weakens its ability to thicken and crowd out weeds.
Water your Texas lawn early in the mornings when it is cooler and your water does not evaporate as easily. During the hot Texas month of July, you may need to water in the afternoon so your lawn does not suffer and weaken. A healthy watered lawn continues to choke out weeds.
Fertilize your lawn with a fertilizer specifically for your species of turf grass. Feed warm season grasses–such as St. Augustine grass, Bermuda grass, Buffalo grass and Centipede grass–every two months. In North Texas, feed these lawns April 1, June 1, August 1 and October 1. In South Texas, feed these grasses March 1, May 1, July 1 and September 1. For cool season grasses, such as fescue and ryegrass, fertilize statewide October 1, December 1, February 1 and April 1.
Spread a pre-emergent in late winter and early spring to prevent weeds from sprouting. Use weed killers and herbicides for weeds during the growing season. Read labels carefully as some products can damage your turf grass rather than just kill the weeds.
Things You Will Need
- Garden hose
- Water sprinkler
- University of Florida IFAS Extension: Weed Management in Home Lawns
- University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture: Weed Control for Home Lawns
- Seedland: Ways to Control Weeds
- "Neil Sperry's Complete Guide to Texas Gardening, Second Edition"; Neil Sperry; 1991
- "Gardening 1-2-3"; Veronica Lorson Fowler; 2006
- Kill Mature Crabgrass
- St. Augustine Grass Fungus in Texas
- Removing Crabgrass From a Zoysia Lawn
- Weed & Feed Tips
- The Best Time of Day to Spray for Lawn Weeds
- Make the Best Homemade Liquid Lawn Fertilizer
- Apply Scotts Turf Builder
- Proper Lawn Care in Zone 7
- The Best Lawn Seed for Missouri
- Use Tide Detergent on My Lawn
- How Much Grass Seed Per Square Foot?
- Installing Gazebo Support Beams